One of my friends and neighbors was recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Watching her go through surgery and treatment has changed my perspective on cancer. I wanted to do something for her while she is going through Chemotherapy. Since I have access to such great information and am aware of some of the common side effects of Chemotherapy, I decided to put together a Chemo Survival Kit of her. I thought I'd post what I included in the Kit in case it's helpful for anyone else out there.
I bought a simple bag to put it all in. It's a re-uable shopping bag. I made a basic sign for the front.
- A funny book that has nothing to do with Chemo. It's actually this book. Hilarious book about parenting.
- A pretty scarf for when she looses her hair.
- Plastic utensils to help with the metallic taste patients often get.
- Educational materials because it's my job and I couldn't not include it.
- Hard candy to help with mouth sores.
- A small pillow (because hospital pillows suck)
- Ginger tea to help with nausea.
- Chapstick for chapped lips
- A trashy magazine to keep up on celebrities and help pass the time.
- Love Notes: This is one of my favorite parts. I asked friends and neighbors to write notes of encouragement and tied them together with a pretty ribbon. I was hopeful that it would help lift her spirits and feel loved during treatment