Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tangled Party

BG requested a Tangled party for her 5th birthday. She LOVED the movie and likes to play it often. When I first started thinking about a party, I had no idea what to do. Thanks to the Internet, I "came up" with lots of great ideas! These pictures are in no particular order (and blogger isn't working right to let me rearrange them).

We made these fun Pascal blowers. BG and I cut and glued them all together before the party and let the kids draw on their own eyes and mouths. It didn't take Blanche long to figure out how these worked and she loved them. Find the template here.

This is the cake I made for BG, obviously a tower. I totally cheated and used donuts stacked up on a wooden dowel. I don't have great cake making skills, so I took the easy way out. I didn't even bother to paint/color the roof, just left it a plain ice cream cone.
I did buy some frosting tips figuring once I had the tips, it wouldn't be too hard to decorate. I now have a greater appreciation for cake decorators. Not that I didn't' before, but even with those tips, making it look good takes practise (which I didn't do). I used a leaf tip to make "vines" growing up the tower. They looked more like green blobs. It's a good thing 5 year olds don't care.

One of our party activities was painting the walls. Since Rapunzel is locked in her tower, she takes to painting all the interior walls. I mixed up some washable paint (2 C water, 1/3 C cornstarch, food coloring), taped up butcher paper on the fence and gave the kids paint brushes. They had a great time. I did put aprons on all the kids just in case.
We also made necklaces, complete with a frying pan charm. This activity kept the girls attention the longest. It took some concentration to sting those beads.
We also played pin the frying pan on Flynn Rider. I got the Wanted poster here and the frying pan template here. We colored pictures, opened presents, and ate cupcakes. Again, I'm no cake decorator, but this is what I came up with. I was hoping the purple with yellow piping looked like her dress. I know, I'm pretty awesome to make zigzags on a cupcake and call it a dress. ;)
I made a long yarn braid to decorate the front door, but didn't take a picture. It looked kind of like this. Actually, that site gave me lots of the ideas I used for the party.


The girls had a great time and I survived hosting 6 5 year-olds. After cleaning up this party, we turned right around to start getting ready for the family party the next day.

5 comments:

Meredith & Company said...

Seriously, though, you did an incredible job! I heard all about the "tower of donuts." And the painting on the fence? Brilliant. I am sure they were dancing around singing the songs the entire time they worked on that one! And, days later, we are still wearing our necklace at my house. Come November, I am calling you to help me plan Elise's party :). You really are amazing, though.

Julie and Carlos said...

Yay pictures!!!! Love it! I finally found a websight that gave me some ideas for the boys Lego ninjago party - trust me - there is nothing out there pre-made. Thank goodness for other people sharing their creativity!!!

Jessica G. said...

Baby was mesmerized by this post! She loves Tangled. Her birthday isn't until December so I've got some time.

(And, girlfriend, I will trade cakes for jewelry! Seriously! Call me!)

Nikki said...

What an awesome birthday party!! Will you come plan my next one?? I'll fly you over! ;)

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.