Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shooting Up

No, I'm talking about illegal substances; don't go calling DCFS on me. What I mean is the flu shot. Have you gotten yours? Are you going to be getting one?

I have never been a big believer in getting flu shots. I also rarely get the flu. Last year (after I started working at a hospital) it was required for all employees to either get the shot or sign a waiver refusing the shot. I got the shot and fell horribly ill two weeks later.

This year the job still requires one of the above two options. Since it is highly recommended for pregnant women, I got my shot.

My real question is about the H1N1 vaccine that will be coming out soon. Those highest on the priority shot for the vaccine include pregnant women (raises hand) and health care workers (keeps hand up). I am generally a believer in western medicine and vaccines and all things scientific. But with this one, I'm a bit hesitant. I'm hesitant because this is the first time we've ever had this vaccine. It has been rushed through production and there is no long-term information about the effects - good or bad. So it makes me feel a bit like a I, and my unborn child, are a bit of a guinea pig for this vaccine. I wish there was at least one year of data to look at.

On the other hand, I fully recognize there is a good reason pregnant women are at the top of the priority list. Studies of H1N1 have found that when preggos get it, they respond much worse than the general population. Even if they were healthy before they got it. I have heard some unsettling (yet unofficial) information about babies doing poorly after birth when mom had H1N1. I would hate to not do everything I can to protect myself and Blanche (in-utero baby name).

What complicates this is a Jan. due date. That is pretty smack in the middle of winter. It's not as though I can have this kid in the fall and then just become a hermit over the winter to minimize exposure. I will be out there working and living life. What would (or are) you doing about the H1N1 vaccine?
*Did I mention that I did talk to my OB about the vaccine. She said that the benefits of it outweigh the risks and will be getting it herself and encouraging her patients to get it too.

8 comments:

rychelle said...

regular flu shot - yes
swine flu shot - no (but i'm not pregnant)

April said...

I'm not getting it. Even if I was preggo I wouldn't get it. I know SEVERAL people who have H1N1 right now and are just fine. It's just like any other flu.

Unknown said...

I'm not doing the H1N1 for me or the kids. Jay is required to get it, no choice he is the lab rat that they test everything on. The kids, Kaden espeically will get the flu shot, but that is as far as it will go. I'm very lerry of the potential side effects of this shot and how fast it was rushed out.

MommyBrain said...

I've got a post in my queue about this exact topic ... it's scary, isn't it?!

BTW: I gave you an award - stop by to read all about it :)

Hope you and baby are doing well!

Jessica G. said...

I get the regular flu shot for the kiddos because my pediatrician recommends it and he's a really good doctor. My sister, on the other hand, is very anti-vaccine and has all sorts of opinions on the topic but my response? She's not a doctor.

And as far as H1N1 goes, well, there's always some "scary" new sickness going around. I'm not going to bother with this one.

name said...

wow!! I can't believe so many people are considering not getting this vaccine. I'm guessing people are concerned because the H1N1 vaccines given in the 70's weren't tested and caused epstein-barr disease but this vaccine was tested by very strict standards. Read the great influenza to get a feel for how horrific this disease will be if it turns into a pandemic and people aren't immunized.

Julie and Carlos said...

I will take the flu over a thermisol containing vaccine any day.

I will take my kids getting the flu and puking on me everyday for a week over injecting them with thermisol. Especially Gavin.

I would take having the flu while pregnant with no medications over subjecting an in utero child to unknown and potentially life long neurological damage from a vaccine with no proven longterm testing. Especially, especially a vaccine with thermisol. I don't care how little - it's effects are exponentially larger in a tiny fetus.

If I had a daughter in her pre-teens I would NOT automatically have her vaccinated for cervical cancer... sounds good from the drug companies on television commercials until you do the research on how it can trigger MS and other autoimmune disorders in specific risk-related women. Do the drug companies tell you about those risks or test ahead of time to filter out those at risk? Nope.

I don't believe in one size fits all vaccines, and I especially don't think that flu vaccines have benefits that outweigh the risks in healthy individuals. The vaccines can only account for 20% of the viruses out there (Which is why you get shot and still get sick) They still contain thermisol which is absolutely unnecessary and I believe to be harmful in a high population... and on top of that H1N1..... was passed quicker than any other vacccine, with the least amount of testing.... we don't know how it will affect an unborn child..... no thanks.

You asked for my opinion....

Mary said...

I am also having this inner debate!!! I went ahead and got the regular flu shot, but the hospital I work at is pushing me to get the H1N1 vaccine...and I work in Pediatrics.

I know that the CDC recommends it, but I'm also terrified b/c of the lack of long-term research.

Are you sure you weren't reading my mind when you posted this??