Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Fragments

I am on a mission! I talked to BG's daycare director about their menu. Apparently their menus are regulated by the state and they are required to serve things like Ding Dongs and Marshmallow Mateys. WHAT?! They can also be fined for having too many fresh fruits and veggies on hand, limiting the number they can serve. I was told the best I can do as a parent is bring in my own substitutions for the menu items I don't like. I was infuriated after leaving the meeting. I can do a lot more than that! I can, and will, start a crusade to get these absurd regulations changed.

Did you know the Bureau of Child Care Licensing has a public meeting every other month to discuss their guidelines? Guess where I will be on Sept 10? Fighting for the health of my child at that meeting. If any other concerned parents want to join me, here is their meeting schedule.

*****
Most days driving to work we pass para gliders. BG thinks they are pretty neat and told me she wants to jump off a mountain. I told her she would have to be a lot bigger before she could do that. I also told her it would scare mommy. She said "It not scare Mommy. I give you hug."

*****
The other day BG was sitting at the table when she wrinkled up her nose and said "I mell something." I asked her what it was at the same moment JM walked up the stairs into the room. She responded "I mell Daddy." (mell = smell)

*****
I can't spell the word "Bureau" to save my life. It took me three tries before spell check would even pick it up with the correct spelling. Do you have words like that?

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That is weird about the menu. But if I were a kid, I wouldn't complain!

Unknown said...

http://health.utah.gov/licensing/rules.htm#Manuals

Here are the guidelines for Utah on nutrition for day cares and schools. (my mom knew where to look and helped me find this for you since this sounds a little too odd) It also states that they are required by law to provide weekly menues for parents 1 week in advance. So they are either lying through their teeth or not licenced with the state.

Jillene said...

Crazy with the menu thing. At my kids school they have a salad bar and a fruit and veggie bar. Seems fishy to me--check it out!!

Nikki said...

Go go go!! Fight fight fight!! (Just don't tell BG when she grows up that you crusaded against Ding Dongs and Marshmallow Mateys.)

Jules AF said...

Ew. Forced to serve ding dongs? What?

rychelle said...

what?!? that just doesn't make any sense.

please keep us updated.