Monday, August 10, 2009

Blogging Ethics

I've seen several posts around about blogging etiquette. Things such as not using all caps, breaking writing into paragraphs, linking back to original content etc. I think those are all good tips. Today I read an article about something else entirely - Blogging Ethics.

This article came from CNN and was about popular Mommy Bloggers who get PR pitches for products. The hope of the companies is that the blogger will write about their product and provide exposure to their readers. Apparently there are some people upset about disclosure of those relationships. A new "Blog with Integrity" movement has started among these bloggers to properly disclose and outline any relationships with sponsors.

I'm curious what you all think. I think if you are being sponsored or have been gifted a product, it's a good idea to tell your readers. However, as a reader it actually annoys me to read the "fine print" of your relationship (boring!). I appreciate you being upfront about it, but mostly I don't care. I want to know how the product works for you. Then again, I'm naive enough to think that most people are honest and their opinions can't be purchased. Your thoughts?

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have been seeing a ton of family blogs lately that have been turning into these review blogs, and they don't disclose that they are getting paid either monetarily or in product. It does sort of annoy me.

I refuse to to reviews. That's not what I blog for.

Jillene said...

I have been asked by several companies to do reviews for products and I have turned them down. That is not what I blog for. I blog beacuse I need a journal and since I suck at writting in one--this has been great. I am pretty sure that my posterity wouldn't be interested in if I liked a cretain product or not. Just my own opinion.

KatBouska said...

I'm kind of gullible too. I like to be upfront and honest though and I assume most of the women I blog with are the same way. Just keeping it real for eachother. I guess there's always a bad apple though...it's not you is it?? ;)

Brittany Marie said...

I have a DVR because I don't like commercials. I don't read Review Blogs and my eyes glaze over whenever I see a "My sister-in-law makes the cutest [insert product here]" post too.

PS: Come to my blog and check out my book. Hahahaha

Nikki said...

I think you should say if you've been gifted a product when you're reviewing it. I like reading people's experiences when they find some great new product, but it would make me mad to know they'd been paid for 'discovering' it.

stephanie said...

yeah, a little disclosure is nice, but seriously, i doubt anyone really cares about the in's and out's of the blogger and the company they are reviewing for...

and yeah, i agree, i don't think opinions can be purchased. at least, i don't think it would come across as all that sincere. but what would i know? do i actually read reviews? not so much. :)