Sunday, August 2, 2009

Testing, Testing

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm sure my blog is going to be including a lot more posts about pregnancy. Feel free to pass over them at your discretion.

At my next doctor appointment is when I have the option of doing the Quad Test. This is the blood test they do to look a range of fetal abnormalities - such as Down Syndrome. It's an optional test, very low risk, and easy to do. (As long a you consider a blood draw easy.) There is a chance of false positives leading expectant mothers to a lot of unnecessary worry. I took this test with my first pregnancy and will most likely do it again.

The reason being - we are planners. JM and I are the planning type. We don't do spontaneous well. Sometimes I wish we could do that better, but we don't. I enjoy planning. I love daydreaming about our future. I like the certainty that comes with planning. I like knowing what I will be fixing for dinner and what we will be doing this weekend. The unknown is very scary for me. Not surprisingly, I don't handle change all that well. I need a plan, a direction, a purpose.

To me, a test like this provides that kind of knowledge. I know some parents who reason they don't what to know about a disability prior to birth, because there is nothing they can do about it. I look at from a different point of view. Even if there is nothing I can do to change the disability, knowing gives me direction. It gives me a heads up for what is coming down the road. It gives me a chance to research and prepare - mentally, emotionally, and physically. I need to know so I can adjust to any change before it happens. So yes, I will begrudgingly roll my sleeve up for this blood draw. Because I'm a planner, and I need to know.

Along those lines of needing to know information, we plan to find out the sex of the baby. My OB actually offers mothers the chance to do an ultrasound at 16 weeks to determine gender. Since it is not covered by insurance, it costs $25 to cover the cost of the tech. I have not signed up for this, mostly because I'm cheap. At 20 weeks I will get a fully funded ultrasound and will (hopefully) find out the sex then. What do you think? Should I shell out $25 to determine pink or blue now or wait until it's free at 20 weeks? Take the poll on my sidebar!

4 comments:

MommyBrain said...

Did you read my posts about the Quad Screen and Gender Decision?

We have different views on those two subjects, for sure. I chickened out on the Quad Screen. I am too afraid of false positives and I would rather live in denial ...

And, at this point, I think we'll wait to find out the gender, too ... I'm a girl who loves surprises :)

Can't wait to hear what you're having ... and hope the screening is uneventful for you.

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll ... you're on mine, too :)

Elise Smith said...

I'm afraid I'm a lot like you on these issues.... I also did the Quad Test simply because I figured the risk was low and I really would want to know ahead of time. As far as the ultrasound, I know it sounds lame, but I've paid extra to find out early both times so far. It's only four weeks, but there's just something about knowing that you could already know that makes it really hard to wait. I'm sure a lot of people would think it's ridiculous, but luckily it's your choice! Can't wait to hear what you find out whenever you choose to find out!

Riddle Girl said...

According to your poll (to date), you have a lot of cheap friends and family. I feel comfortable saying that because I am one who voted to wait.
It's just 4 more weeks. Just think of a fun project to do in that time and the time will fly by. Right?!

Jules AF said...

My friend was a false positive. Those were some harrowing weeks.